The school recognises the importance of you, the parents, as the prime educators of your child and the need to effectively involve you in the school’s programme. You are encouraged to volunteer your skills and time whenever the opportunity arises. It is hoped that you will participate in at least some of the following areas:
- Attending school related Masses
- Parent groups
- Classroom help
- Busy bees
- Social functions
- Supporting your children at functions
- Parent/Teacher meetings
- P & F meetings
- Nominating for the School Board
- Sports coaching
We respect the right of all our parents to discuss their child’s progress with their teacher. Teachers do appreciate an appointment being made in order to make best use of the meeting time with you. Normally these times are after school.
Principal & Teaching Staff
The Principal and teaching staff are responsible for the daily operation of the school and for establishing and implementing the educational policies of St John’s School. Specific issues relating to individual children’s learning difficulties should be addressed to the teacher concerned or the Principal through an appointment.
We report to parents using a variety of strategies, including:
- Term 1 Personalise Learning Plan Three Way conferences – goal setting meeting
- Mid Year (End of Semester 1) report
- The availability for Mid Year Teacher-Parent Report discussions
- Personalise Learning Plan Three Way conferences at the beginning of Term three to set goal for the Semester 2
- End of Year report.
- School Assemblies
- The weekly newsletter
We encourage open communication with parents. If you are concerned about any issue we urge that you contact the teacher as soon as possible. Please be aware that impromptu meetings before school are not conducive to either privacy or the teacher’s duty of care obligations so arranging a suitable appointment time with the teachers is preferable.